Paint Decontamination is the removal of anything stuck or bonded to the vehicles paint. This may be visible or it gives a rough feel / texture to paint or glass.
This is important in preventing your paint from failing and degrading. If you see a car with its paint peeling, cloudy or fading, its because it was left uncared for (not decontaminated and protected) or poor aftermarket paint and then in that case most likely both combined.
Decontamination should be done no more than once or twice a year depending on the condition of your paint and the environment it is exposed to. Everytime your paint is clayed, marring or swirls occurs which is unsightly and dulls your paint. This then requires polishing afterwards which microscopically “cuts” your paint in order to remove the swirls and marring. This of course thins down your paint over time and should be avoided.
We have divided contamination that vehicles can experience as Everyday / Typical and Heavy paint surface contamination.
Everyday / Typical Decontamination
Everyday contamination that bonds to your paint comes from industrial fallout like:
- Paint Overspray,
- Rail or brake dust,
- Insect poop from bee’s, flies
- Oil or Tar
- Tree pollen
- but not tree sap.
Other Heavy surface contaminants, (read the list below), can also be removed but not throught typical decontamination methods.
Heavy surface contaminants
We can remove a varierty of other surface contamination that get stuck or bonded to paint through either chemical, manual or a combination of both. This may require polishing afterwards to remove any resultant swirls or marring and at minimum a form of paint protection to finish off.
Examples of Heavy surface contaminants:
- Paint splatter
- Tree Sap
- Paint overspray
- Hard Water Spotting
- Adhesives from stickers and advertising
It is always best for us to give pricing in person. In person we can perform a test spot and be exact as to what’s needed to decontaminate and if polishing is required, what level would suit you after the contamination is removed.
If you require polishing & protection then we would base from one of our Paint Correction & Enhancement or Glaze packages.
If you dont, then we would start the base off with my Maintenance Wash which is from R350 and then add the decontamination that you require.
- Clay Treatment from R350 per hour
- The standard method of decontamination for a wide variety of contamination.
- This is included in all of our Paint Correction packages and in the Custom Glaze package by using a clay mitt / disk for 30min
- Iron Remover from R200
- Removes iron flecks in the paint.
- Commonly felt on all colours and highly visible on white or light colours
- Gets in where clay does not.
- Degreaser / Traffic Film Remover from R150
- Removes medium to heavy oils and oil based contaminants.
- Ideal for cars that hasnt washed in months before main wash to prevent imparting swirls and scratches due to heavy dirt.
- Tar Remover – Price on Inspection
- More suitable for heavy oils, oil based contaminants and adhesives.
- Usable for removing stickers and paint splatter
- Tree Sap R350 for the first hour and R250 per hour thereafter.
- Paint Splatter from R350 per hour
- Cement Splatter from R350 per hour
- Water marks
- Either chemicals are used or polishing is required.
- Glass requires a special polish